Specials Of The Day
Commentary and musings fresh from today's headlines...

Sunday, June 18, 2006
This Is Not The Cancellation You're Looking For
Courtesy of One Of The Four David Zinkin, the following tidbit regarding Our Very Favorite Online Service Evar:

Dude gets 'Tude while trying to cancel AOL

Frankly, Vincent was far too generous. I would have been demanding a supervisor the very second the guy said anything other than "Yes, sir" once I had satisfied the security authorization questions. Having worked in this industry, I know how to make things happen and have no tolerance for crap like this.

Actually, something similar happened when I bought my first laptop: Best Buy was trying to sell me the standard litany of extended warranties and the like, but because I financed it through a newly-acquired Best Buy credit card, I got a couple extra ones. And when I said, no, I didn't want the service they were hawking, the guy actually said "May I ask why not?" And (much to my credit, because this NEVER happens, I'm usually too flabbergasted at the breach in courtesy to think clearly enough to do it), I simply looked at him calmly and said "No."

Then he did it AGAIN. Some other thing where the minimum payment is guaranteed if I lose my job and can't make the payment or some crap. Nope, don't want that. "May I ask why not?" This time, he got the Icy Stare Of Ask Me That One More Time And You're Going Home Tonight Sans Testicles, and a way-more-definite "NO."

Either he got the picture or ran out of services to shill, because he did not try a third time.

Sad thing is, I know for a fact that there are enough technophobes, elderly people, and just plain morons out there that this tactic works more often than not, so I don't see it stopping. However (and this is the point that I hope to get across to The Four Of You), I do feel that my obligation to any kind of social courtesy during a business transaction like this comes to an abrupt end the second a breach likes this takes place, and I have no problem with and no regrets after playing the Asshole Card just as soon as they do.
posted at 12:59 AM | Permalink |